The universal appeal of carpet is reflected in the wealth of fibers, weaves, textures, colors, designs and border accents found in today’s most striking examples. McSwain Carpets & Floors presents a balanced collection that keeps pace with the latest designer–name fashion trends, while offering a broad assortment of classic styles with timeless allure.
On the surface many carpets look the same – but there is a large range in quality. You want your carpet to retain its appearance, withstand the demands of your busy household and is easy to maintain. Investing in such a carpet is a better value than a cheaper alternative that will need to be replaced quickly.
Visit any one of McSwain Carpets & Floors’ nine conveniently located showrooms in the Tri–State area to discover the countless decorating possibilities to be found in our truly superb line of carpets.
> Installation Checklist and FAQ
> How Much Should I Budget Per Room?
Select a carpet that meets your needs – Narrow your options and select the ideal carpet for each area of your home
- Do you have children? Pets?
- You will want a carpet that is stain and soil resistant
- Which of your rooms get a lot of traffic and everyday use?
- You will want a high-performing & durable carpet
- adds warmth
- comes in a variety of color tones & hues
- quieter than hard surface floors
- can hide many sub-floor irregularities that would not be permitted with hard surface floors
- can go over a variety of substrates and on all grade levels, including concrete slabs
- economical & installation costs are less than some hard surface products
Cushion, or padding, is the foundation of your carpet. It is responsible for enhancing both comfort and durability. A cushion with medium thickness and medium to high density usually performs the best.
- The RIGHT padding will
- Absorb constant pressure of foot traffic
- Keep carpet from matting down & looking worn
- Add insulation
- Reduce noise
- Protect your investment – extend the life of your carpet and protect the floors underneath
- The WRONG padding will
- Cause wrinkling and buckling
- Trigger the carpet to separate from the backing or pull apart at the seams
- Break down the carpet
- Invalidate the warranty
- Curled up or twisted tufts that help mask footprints
- Especially suitable for less formal decors
- Type of textured carpet with highly twisted tufts that curl at the pile surface
- Especially suitable for higher traffic areas
- Loop pile with tufts of equal height or multi-level loops
- Multi-level loops form beautiful patterns using solid colors
- Broad application with durable wear in either construction
- Cut Pile Berber
- Casual cut pile construction using a combination of big tufts and small tufts
- Usually contains small flecks of dark color on lighter shade background colors
- Dense level cut pile
- Yarn tufts are closely packed, presenting smooth, luxurious surface
- Generally for formal settings
- Cut & Loop
- Yarns are tufted into patterns of high cut tufts and lower loop tufts
- Suits more informal settings
- To make a carpet, natural or synthetic fiber is converted to yarn and tufted, or locked into a backing to form the pile or surface you walk on.
- Describes the winding of the yarn on itself. The tighter the twist, the more the carpet will resist changes in appearance and texture.
- The amount of pile in the carpet and how close the tufts are to one another. In general, the more dense the carpet, the better the quality. Check the density by pressing your fingers in the carpet and trying to reach the backing. You can also bend the carpet into a “U” shape to see how much backing shows. The less you see, the more dense the carpet.