Flooring can make a significant difference in your pet’s quality of life. With all of the time they spend walking, running, rolling, sleeping, and just chilling on the floor, it’s important for you as a pet owner to consider the type of flooring that will be best for your furry friend. Hard surfaces such as tile and hardwood can be prone to quite a bit of wear and tear (especially if your pet has long nails), not to mention the fact that it’s easier for pets to slip, fall and injure themselves when they get a little rambunctious. For this reason, carpet is a great flooring choice to provide a greater level of comfort and safety for your pet.
So which type of carpet would be the best fit for pet owners? Well, the answer depends upon a number of key factors, so be sure to take the following points into consideration when choosing a pet-friendly carpet:
- You’ll often hear that Berber carpet is a good choice for pet owners due to its well-documented durability, but this could actually be a wrong move for pet owners. Keep in mind that Berber carpet features a looped pile, which means that it is comprised of strands of yarn that are looped into the backing of the carpet. As you well know, cats and dogs alike tend to claw and scratch at carpeting, and if their claws get caught up in those loops, they can permanently damage the carpet. It’s much better to go with a cut pile carpet (i.e., no loops) to avoid this scenario altogether.
- Saxony carpet is a great choice because it is a cut pile carpet, and its cut at an angle, which can make concealing stains and marks a little easier. In addition, Saxony is quite durable, so it can stand quite a bit of abuse from highly energetic pets.
- Frieze carpet is another top consideration because it is also a cut pile carpet, and it’s tightly woven, which helps a lot in terms of durability. Frieze carpet also does a great job of hiding dirt and stains due to its thick, curly fibers and somewhat speckled color. This can really come in handy if you’re working with a pet who has had frequent “accidents,” or is super-active in the running and playing department.
- Nylon carpet is always a top choice in terms of durability, and it’s also quite moisture resistant, which makes cleaning up pet messes a much easier affair.
- Wool carpet provides an optimal level of comfort for your furry companion, but it doesn’t have very high marks in the moisture-resistance category. While wool is quite durable and adequately stain resistant, it does carry a higher price than most other carpet types on the market, so that’s something to be mindful of when making your choice.
- Polyester carpet is one of the most popular options on the market due to its durability and affordability (it’s generally less expensive than nylon), and it is also well-known for being stain resistant, making it the go-to choice for many pet owners.
- Stainmaster® PetProtect® carpet and cushion features built-in stain resistance that won’t wash off between cleanings. Simply use a hydrogen peroxide-based cleaner after an accident – it’s like it never happened. Those with furry friends prone to shedding will be happy to know that Stainmaster® PetProtect® carpet uses innovative solutions to make cleaning up pet hair easier.
- Karastan SmartStrand® Forever Clean™ carpet offers stylish options for pet lovers. The soft, durable carpet stands up to pet-related stains, spills and odors while maintaining its beauty. With the All Pet Protection & Warranty all accidents are covered, so you don’t have to worry.
As you can see, there are several factors to consider when choosing a pet-friendly carpet, and it’s not a decision that should be made lightly. The experts at McSwain Carpets and Floors can offer you experienced advice and solid insight to help you choose the best carpet for your (and your pet’s) lifestyle. We offer the carpet Cincinnati and Dayton homeowners prefer, and we will provide you with unbeatable expertise and top-notch installation services so that you and your furry friend can enjoy your carpet for years to come.